Madigan made... Mounds-inspired chocolate coconut bars.
Today is our fourth and final installment of "Famous Chocolate Couples Week." (read all about it here)
In honor of Valentine's Day, Monday through Thursday this week I featured a different recipe with a famous chocolate combination. Today is our last day.
Our topic of the day: coconut and chocolate!
I looove anything coconut. In fact, I am in my glory when Easter-time candy comes out. There are soo many coconut treats around Easter. Zitner's Double Cocoanut Eggs (a local treat) are my hand's down favorite. Unfortunately they are only available a few months out of the year.
::: Boo. ::: Oh wait... yay! It's coming up soon! :::
So for this ode to chocolate week... I knew I needed to include a chocolate and coconut feature. This bar recipe sounded tempting.
These are not the prettiest cookie bars and they are a little messy. But, boy, are they good!
I followed this recipe here from allrecipe.com with a few modifications based on what the recipe reviews recommended.
These are the changes I made with the recipe:
- I omitted the sugar in the graham cracker crust. I also used less graham crackers.
- I increased the quantity of coconut... by 1 cup. (I love coconut!)
- I spread the coconut on top of the crust then poured the sweetened condensed milk on top of that.
- I did not melt the chocolate and pour it on top. I sprinkled the chips on top of the coconut and popped it back in the oven for 5-10 minutes. I pulled that out and just used a spatula to spread the chocolate.
- As the chocolate cooled, I scored the chocolate to make it easier to cut.
So.... I guess I did not really follow that recipe!
My version turned out pretty yummy, even if the recipe was different. But that's what I love about recipes sites that allow reviews. I *always* read the recipe reviews for tips from other cooks. If you hear that tip again and again, there must be a good reason. Do you read the recipe reviews?
I hate to say it... but I am out of 'couples' for this Famous Chocolate Couples Week.
Can you see my sad face? :(
But don't be too sad. Stay tuned for tomorrow... I have another great guest post planned! Hopefully I can bring you a guest project every Friday.
Did you miss the chocolate and coffee? The chocolate and peanut butter? The chocolate and marshmallow? Go back and check them out!
Hey, do you have any great chocolate recipes?
Leave a link in the comments. I'd love to feature some of them this weekend!